Missing-Nigerian-Girls-FAB-Magazine.JPG2

While about 230 girls have been abducted for over two weeks by insurgents nothing concrete seems to have been done for their release. On the 14th of April news of the kidnapping of final year students at the Government Girls Secondary school, Chibok in Borno state, shook the country and the government up until now has refused to convince Nigerians that they are on top of their game.

Not only are the exact numbers of the missing girls mixed up, the government has also ensured that every bit of information in relation to the search remains a mystery. Conflicting figures as to the number of girls abducted and those rescued had been released by the government and the school management confusing everyone on the accurate number of girls missing from the school. Meanwhile, news sources have estimated from over 100 to 237 girls missing.

The Special Assistant to the Borno Governor on Media Isa Gusau blamed this on the confusion which followed the unexpected attack.
“What actually happened that day was that there were 129 science students that were supposed to remain in the hostel” Gusau said, but the dormitory master only took record of 129 students assuming they were the only ones in the hostel.

Missing-Nigerian-Girls-FAB-Magazine

About 44 girls reportedly escaped by jumping from the back of the trucks used to ferry them away or by sneaking out of the kidnappers’ camp deep inside the forest.

This very sad event  has taken over national conversations and filled columns of Nigerian newspapers. Recent reports reveal that they have crossed the Nigerian border and they are now in Cameroon caged in the Boko Haram camp to serve as sex slaves. The thought of those young girls being exposed to torture and sexual violation is just dreadful as parents of the missing girls have opted to go in search of their children since the government is mute about their plans.

Women from various civil society organisations (CSOs) on Thursday in Abuja marched to the National Assembly to protest the delay in securing the release of the abducted schoolgirls. Dr Oby Ezekwesili, one of the protest leaders and a former World Bank Vice-President, appealed to the Federal Government to intensify efforts to immediately rescue the girls.

“There must be concerted efforts to bring back our girls. We are frustrated that 234 girls are lost and there are no adequate information about their whereabouts. Our leaders must show concern over the situation. We want to compel the right momentum for the search, and our activities are basically about bringing back our girls. These young girls are our daughters, sisters, tomorrow’s women and mothers. Those directly affected grieve, and we as Nigerians and human beings join them in their anguish and distress.” Ezekwesili said.

According to Dailytimes, Senate President David Mark while receiving the protesters, said the lawmakers shared in their pain and would work with them for the rescue of the girls.

“Government is doing its best to address the situation. I therefore urge you all to collaborate with government to ensure we rescue the girls as soon as possible,’’ he said.

Missing-Nigerian-Girls-FAB-Magazine.JPG4

The hypocrisy and insensitivity of the Nigerian government has moved a lot of citizens to accuse the political class of playing double standard.

Since Vice President Namadi Sambo brother’s death, most activities at federal and state levels have been paralysed under the guise of paying condolences to the Sambo family while nothing concrete seems to have been done about their release. We Sympathize with the Vice President and his family but life must go on and the whole nation will not stand still.

These precious girls are children of the nation and they should be taken seriously. If over 200 citizens are missing without a trace for over two weeks, don’t you think the nation is at risk? #WhereAreOurDaughters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.