MTN LAGOS FASHION & DESIGN FASHION WEEK 2011 – PRESS CONFERENCE 30th June 2011 @ the Villa Medici
It has been a long time coming, we have all been speculating/praying for when Nigeria will be able to present a credible fashion week. One that can firmly stand alongside its South African counterpart and be called amongst the fashion weeks of the world. With a healthy number of established designers pioneering the Nigerian fashion industry and an abundance of emerging fashion talent home and away, why not? Nigeria’s fashion industry is not ready some say, there is no unity or infrastructure others say, how is it going to benefit our economy and move our country forward? The rest call out! This has been the ongoing debate being murmured amongst fashion insiders and enthusiasts alike.
But when Arise Africa fashion week came to town a unique presentation of Africa’s best in fashion, certainly shed light on the impossible being made possible and ignited the passion that had been steering in some people’s hearts. One of such is Omoyemi Akerele, one of Nigeria’s notable fashion pioneers, the Creative Director of Style House Files has stopped debating and made the ambitious move to present the Lagos Fashion and Design Week sponsored by MTN and supported by the British Council which will be held from October 26th-29th 2011.
The MTN LFDW aims to be a premiere fashion event which will bring together media, industry, buyers and consumers to view the current collections of designers in the fashion capital of Lagos, Nigeria. The platform aims to cut across geographic and culture barriers and position itself as a business of fashion and design event targeted at showcasing the best of the fashion and design industry, drive the Nigerian fashion economy and ultimately uplift its profile within the industry.
Lagos will play host to the fashion and design led event that will feature:
- catwalk shows featuring new season collections from the best talents in the fashion industry;
- design led exhibitions featuring fashion products and accessories, textiles, furniture design, photography, art installations and architecture;
- seminars and workshops that will facilitate knowledge transfer, information exchange and networking opportunities across board
It seems that no stone will be left unturned in Nigeria to find who will be among the established and up and coming designers selected to showcase. Designers in the diaspora are also welcome to register to partake . Not only will these designers be able to showcase their work during the fashion week but MTN & British Council will also be awarding young creative talent in the following categories:
- MTN British Council Young Creative Entrepreneur of the Year – the winner stands to win a 4 million Naira car and a UK fashion industry tour during London Fashion Week
- MTN British Council Young Designer of the Year – the winner stands to win 1 million Naira and a UK fashion industry tour during London Fashion Week
- MTN Model of the Year – the winner stands to win 1 million Naira and entry into Elite Model Look Competition in Nigeria 2012.
All winners will receive additional tutorial support and advice…Let’s hope for the best and show as much love and support as we can.
For more information on the MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week please visit: www.lagosfashionanddesignweek.com
Stay FAB and Inspired!
Follow FAB Fashion Editor on her discoveries, experiences and travels @purplepepperlov