Nothing finishes a great look more than the perfect lips. Here, I have compiled the top ten basic tips for getting those lips right with makeup.
1. If you suffer from scaly lips, do the following; i) Slather lips with petroleum jelly, ii) Use a toothbrush to massage in the jelly in a circular motion, iii) wipe off the excess petroleum jelly.
2. For ‘plump’ lips, apply liner just outside your natural lip line. Dab a bit of gloss in the middle of your bottom lips.
3. Use liner on your lips as base. Lipstick will last longer if you fill in your lips with the liner first. If you’re using light lipstick, try a nude liner. Then slick your lipstick on top.
4. Never use a dark liner with light lipstick. Defined lips are great, but make sure the liner matches the lipstick or gloss. Dark liner and light lips is a no-no.
5, Keep lipstick off your teeth with this trick. After applying lipstick, take your index finger and pop it in your mouth, then pull it out. The excess lipstick will come off on your finger rather than your teeth.
6. Not all lipstick shades look good on everyone. Your skin color will determine what shades are right on you. You may like a lipstick on your friend, but it may not look good on you. Orange or brown shades, including corals, look good on few people. These shades tend to make teeth appear yellow.
7. You can camouflage yellow teeth. To downplay a yellow cast to teeth, try lipsticks with a bluish undertone. Shades that work include plums, pinks, wines and violets.
8. Our lips thin as we age and dark lips can accentuate them. To keep lips from looking too severe, try a rosy red or avoid red lips altogether and opt for a neutral shade, play up your eyes instead.
9. You can line before or after you apply lipstick or gloss. Some women prefer to apply liner first, arguing that you won’t be able to see the natural line of your lips if you apply lipstick first., but it can actually look more natural if you apply the liner after.
10. Lipstick can be used as a blush but NEVER use blush as lipstick.