In this day and age, there are literally tones of dating sites on the internet and if you have been single at any time in the past decade, you have probably tried a few. Some even claim that they can match you up with your “perfect dream partner. Perhaps, they can, but sometimes if the person perfect for you is standing right next to you, you might not even know it. These sites might provide a warm body to cuddle with for a few months, years even, but they might not turn out to be ‘the one’.
You let yourself get set up on the dreaded blind dates, put yourself out there by being cheerful and open to meeting new folks and still you end up with people that are just wrong for you. Why, you ask?
It’s simple. You may not know yourself well enough to know who you are let alone who you is right for you. Most people are too busy running around trying to be “the person they think everyone else wants them to be” to know who and what kind of relationship would work best for them.
Here are a few tips help you out, keep you focused and find you your ideal match in no time;
1. You have to be honest about who you are. Understand what you can bring to the table. What are your strengths and weaknesses in relationships?
2. You have to be honest about what kind of person you want to date. Figure out what your priorities are. What is important to you? Physical attraction? Intellect? Spiritual beliefs? Financial security?
3. You have to be clear about what kind of relationship you want to have. Figure out who you would like to be with. Do you want to be a “do-it-all-together” couple or an “independent-meet-up-with-you-here-and-there” kind of couple? What kind of social life do you want to share? What kind of intimacy do you want to share?
4. You have to have clear and respectful boundaries in your relationships. Ask yourself how you want to treat each other in your ideal relationship?
5. You have to be patient. Settling for less than you deserve or less than will make you happy won’t make you happy in the long run. This isn’t fair to the other person either.
While the process of finding a long-term partner isn’t always cut-and-dried, basically, once you are honest with yourself, realistic about what you are looking for, knowing you want to be with someone for the right reasons (and not just because you don’t want to be alone), and believing you can find your ideal match with a little patience, then you are certainly on the right track.