The official death report into musical legend Whitney Houston’s death reveals the singer was found unresponsive face down in a bathtub in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles on February 11.
On the day she died, Whitney Houston complained of a sore throat, so she decided to take a bath in at her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton before getting ready for a pre-Grammy party.
The singer’s assistant left Houston to run an errand at Nieman Marcus. When the assistant returned to the singer’s room around 3:35 p.m. on Saturday Feb. 11, Houston was lying face down in the bathtub in approximately 13-inches of water, with a “bloody purge coming from her nose,” according to the report released Wednesday.
Whitney’s cause of death was announced last month as accidental drowning, heart disease and cocaine use. Information from today’s 42-page report has painted a clearer picture of what happened during Houston’s last moments and immediately after she died.
Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office has revealed that the singer’s hotel room was littered with medication bottles, pills and a spoon with crystals on it.
“I collected remnants of a white powdery substance from out of a drawer and from the bottom of a mirror in the same drawer,” the 42-page document of the final autopsy report states.
Authorities also found rolled up pieces of white paper, an ashtray filled with multiple cigarette butts and a “small spoon with a white crystal like substance in it.”
The report does not specifically identify the substances as cocaine, although the drug was found in toxicology tests in Houston’s body. Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said he could not discuss how recently Houston may have used the drug.
Whitney also had two superficial abrasions on the left side of her forehead and a superficial abrasion on the bridge of her nose. She had a hole in her nasal septum from her years of taking cocaine and was suffering from mild emphysema.
While the report does not dwell on the details of the singer’s death HLN’s Dr. Drew Pinsky, an addiction medicine specialist, examined the autopsy report for CNN and suggested she might have suffered a seizure brought on by the use of cocaine possibly combined with a withdrawal from alcohol and a prescription sedative.
“To me, a sudden drop off in the Xanax level, a drop off in your alcohol consumption, add cocaine, that’s a recipe for a seizure,” Pinsky said. “Somebody who’s now upside down in a bathtub could easily seize and drown.”
At the time of her death, Whitney was attempting another comeback by starring in a remake of the film Sparkle, the trailer for which (below) was released earlier this week.