We love it when Nigerian designers get global attention.
Adebayo Oke-Lawal of Orange Culture and Amaka Osakwe of Maki Oh were 2 out of 1221 budding designers that applied for the inaugural LVMH Young Fashion Designer Prize and have now become 2 out of 30 semifinalists from different parts of the world who have been unveiled.
Up for grabs are 300,000 Euros (67, 865, 400 Nigerian Naira) and a Year of expert mentoring from an internal team at LVMH.
Adebayo Oke Lawal of Orange Culture
The global competition was launched in November 2013 by Delphine Arnault. She stated, “I am extremely impressed by the quantity of applicants and by the quality of their work. The internet submission has allowed designers from all over the world to apply and as we had hoped, this selection process allowed us to discover new talents, some of them relatively unknown.”
Amaka Osakwe of Maki Oh
The semi-finalists are to head to Paris on Wednesday 26th & Thursday 27th February 2014 where they will showcase their collections to an exclusive panel. Among the Panel members are prominent editors and stylists like Net-a-Porter Founder & CEO Natalie Massenet, Stylist Olivier Rizzo, Editor-in-Chief – Vogue China, Angelica Cheung among others. They will streamline the list to 10 finalists.
At the end of May, the 10 finalists are to make 20-minute presentations to a jury stacked with design stars, including Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Nicolas Ghesquière, Raf Simons, Phoebe Philo and Riccardo Tisci.
Here’s the full shortlist of the 30 Designers
1. Anna October (Anna October, Ukrainian, based in Kiev)
2. Atto (JulienDossena, French, based in Paris)
3. CG (Chris Gelinas, Canadian, based in New York)
4. Christopher Shannon (Christopher Shannon, British, based in London)
5. Craig Green (Craig Green, American, based in London)
6. Creatures of the Wind (Shane Gabier and Chris Peters, American, based in New York)
7. Gabriele Colangelo (Gabriele Colangelo, Italian, based in Milan)
8. Hellen van Rees (Hellen van Rees, Dutch, based in Hengelo)
9. Honest (Bruno Pieters, Belgian, based in Antwerp)
10. Hood By Air (Shayne Olivier, American, based in New York)
11. J JS Lee (Jackie Lee, Korean, based in London)
12. Jacquemus (Simon Porte Jacquemus, French, based in Paris)
13. Kye (Kathleen Kye, American, based in Seoul)
14. Lena Lumelsky (Helena Lumelsky, Israeli, based in Antwerp)
15. Maki Oh (Amaka Osakwe, Nigerian, based in Lagos)
16. Marques’ Almeida (Marta Marques and Paolo Almeida, Portuguese, based in London)
17. Meadham Kirchhoff (Edward Meadham, British, and Benjamin Kirchhoff, French, based in London)
18. Minju Kim (Kim Minju, Korean, based in Antwerp)
19. Miuniku (Tina & Nikita Sutradhar, Indian, based in Mumbaï)
20. Orange Culture (Adebayo Oke-Lawal, Nigerian, based in Lagos)
21. Ostwald Helgason (Suzanne Ostwald, German, and Ingvar Helgason, Icelandic, based in London)
22. Paskal (Julia Paskal, Ukrainian, based in Odessa)
23. Simone Rocha (Simone Rocha, Irish, based in London)
24. Stella Jean (Stella Maria Jean Novarino, Italian and Haitian, based in Milan)
25. Suno (Erin Beatty and Max Osterweis, American, based in New York)
26. Thomas Tait (Thomas Tait, Canadian, based in London)
27. TillmannLauterbach (TillmannLauterbach, German, based in Paris)
28. Tim Coppens (Tim Coppens, American, based in New York)
29. VikaGazinskaya (VikaGazinskaya, Russian, based in Moscow)
30. Yang Li (Yang Li, born in China, raised in Australia, based in London and Paris)
This is undeniably a great opportunity in so many ways and we are super excited for Maki Oh and Orange Culture. We wish them the very best at FAB.