A typical African household gives stories for decades. Stories that can be retold and surprisingly enough, a lot of people raised by African parents have similar and common stories. Parents need to tell us if they went for a seminar on “How to be a typical African parent.” Hopefully all the sarcasm, frustrations, head-knocks and more from growing up with African parents (regardless of the location) has made us tougher. Check out 10 signs we put together to let you know that you are one of us, raised by proper & core African parents!

  • African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (1)Every adult who is older than you is your “big mummy”, “big daddy”, “auntie” or “uncle.” Calling them by their first name is basically considered a crime against humanity and often resulting in a knock once the said “auntie” leaves because, according to the folks “You want to embarrass me abi?”
  • African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (2) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (7)Your parents will call you from upstairs, downstairs, outside, etc., to hand them an item that is literally 10 centimeters away from them. If you point out that the item is right there you get a typical response of “So you can now question my orders”
  • In an African house When guest are around means the best time to ask your parents for stuff. They never want to reject you in public.
  • African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (8)During an argument when your parents are mad at you, you keep quiet and they say “Can you not answer?”, you answer and they say “You are talking back at me abi?”.
  • In an African house, you ask for permission to go for a sleepover or to visit a friend and the reply you get is “Must you be the one to go there? Why can’t Bimbo come to your own house to sleep?”
  • In an African house parents will always round up numbers for you when you come back a little late. “Why are you coming back at 11pm, James?” “But it’s 10:21pm” “My friend will you shut up”.
  • You hear your parents calling a siblings name and you scream that …“He’s in the toilet”…and your mother or father goes “Ehn, you too come and do this thing”.
  • After Church service on Sundays, there is always an additional hour used by African parents to greet everybody and have lengthy conversations while you wait by the car sucking on Fan Yogo.
  • African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (1) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (5)Being smart in school is not an option and you must always be the top of the class (as they all were in their time). If your test result is 98 percent, they ask, “What happened to the other 2 percent?” If you get a B grade, your parents will ask, “The person who got an A, do they have three heads?”
  • “In my days”, “When I was you age”, “Let me tell you a story”, “In my time”, and more similar phrases usually lead to a 2 hour lecture on how things were harder for them.

Sounds familiar??

African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (6) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (4) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (3) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (10) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (9)Check out some of these funny memories from the You Know You’re African When… series.

African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (1) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (3) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (2) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (4) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (5) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (7) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (6) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (8) African-Homes-FAB-Magzine (9)

And these videos…





facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinby feather

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.