Planning a holiday vacation can be really exciting, after making your hotel reservations you begin to think of all the places you want to visit and which attractions you would like to see.
However, unfortunately, there is a list of things that could go wrong on your trip, like getting robbed and having all your plans fall through or getting sick. Almost everyone face some sort of sickness during their holiday which may be caused due to the rapid change of weather conditions, the different food or else. So, we all know how annoying and frustrating it can be to have to worry about getting sick on your holiday, especially now, when having an incurable virus around!
Sadly, the recent Ebola outbreak has become a worldwide concern. While some may believe the best response is to declare a state of emergency, – some countries have already been put on a travel ban list – it’s virtually impossible to completely halt movement. Sometimes you’ve just got to go, and we get that. Which is why it’s important to know how to protect yourself from the virus while moving around. This is why Africa’s Largest Online Hotel Booking Portal, Jovago.com has put together some information on how to stay safe from Ebola while on a trip.
Ebola – What Do We Know?
- It’s a fast-acting virus which causes a hemorrhagic fever – this means it causes internal and external bleeding – and is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected people or animals (yes, animals)
- Symptoms of the virus may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure, but most commonly within 8-10 days
- It has no cure or vaccine, yet
- People who display early symptoms can only be treated for those symptoms with hopes of recovery
- Thankfully, Ebola is not airborne and can only be spread by people who are already displaying severe symptoms of the virus – bleeding from the nose or mouth
The average traveler should be at no risk, but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t take precautions because you never really know.
How to Protect Yourself?
Simple measures can make the biggest difference
- Always wash your hands with soap and only eat food cooked properly
- Sanitize your environment and carry a hand sanitizer with you as well; the virus cannot survive disinfectants, direct sunlight, and heat
- Avoid bodily contact with people on a trip, this one is nearly impossible, but you can try; Remember: Sweat is a bodily fluid
- Watch what you eat on trips, avoid roadside snacks such as kebabs and pastries as much as you can; Make sure what you eat is prepared under sanitary conditions
- Visit a health facility anytime you have fever, headache, pain, diarrhea, red eyes rash and vomiting
- Educate yourself and everyone around you about the virus – You can never know too much and every little bit you do know could be helpful to someone else
- If you notice symptoms in yourself or someone else, don’t panic and don’t delay; Report to the nearest healthcare facility immediately
- Do not play with monkeys or baboons
- Do not eat plums eaten by bats
Doctors around the world are working on a cure. Meanwhile, be safe. Protect yourself and those around you. Avoid huge crowds of people and don’t go anywhere you don’t need to be. We wish you a nice holiday season. Stay healthy!
Jovago.com is an online hotel booking service headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria, and founded by Africa Internet Holding. Jovago, Africa’s No.1 booking portal, facilitates the booking process for its users to provide them with the best hotel booking experience with fast, transparent and easy-to-use services. Jovago has over 5000 local listings across Africa.
Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JovagoTravel @jovagotravel
Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jovago.com