Burlesque beauty Dita Von Teese recently met with Marianne Power of the Daily Mail to give her a lesson in the art of seduction. But we don’t all have the luxury of having a living mentor in the form of Dita. So how exactly can you, dear FAB reader, emulate the look of a sexy screen siren at home? Follow my top ten smouldering tips and you’ll be a burlesque beauty in no time!
1. To achieve the perfect base for the look of a bombshell, ensure that your skin looks as smooth as silk. The best way to achieve this is by wearing a light matte foundation and lightly sweeping coral blusher over your cheekbones.
2. Make a statement with highly arched eyebrows outlined in thick, dark pencil. HD Brows are the new ‘in’ thing – enquire at your local beauty salon and ask about treatments they offer.
3. Eyes should be lined over the top lid in black liquid liner with an outwards flick. Give your eyes a sexy cat flutter by applying more mascara (and maybe even some false lashes) to the outsides. My favourites are Eylure Naturalite lashes in number 161 – not only do they lengthen and define lashes, but they feature the pretty fluttery flick at the outer corner of the eye.
4. Pouty, full lips are an essential to the bombshell look. Make sure you apply lots of ruby red lippie along with a high shine gloss.
5. Every burlesque queen should have beautifully manicured talons, make sure your nails match your lip colour for perfect co-ordination. An interesting burlesque look is to paint the nails one colour then paint the half moons just above your cuticle line in a contrasting shade. Again, ask at your local beauty salon about this if you find nail art fiddly!
6. Whether your hair is long or short, bouncy curls and smooth waves are the way forward. Whether hair is pinned up or swept to one side, make sure you have plenty of volume. A sweeping fringe over one eye will create a teasing peek-a-boo effect – perfect for adding more intensity to your ‘come hither’ gaze.
7. Everybody knows that burlesque is all about glamour and suggestion, so make sure you pull out all the stops on your outfit. Lacy stockings with a silk suspender belt always look provocative, try this look and let the cameras roll. Remember that skyscraper heels with this outfit are essential. Think the likes of Agent Provocateur and you’re onto a winner.
8. Your attire should scream sensual, sexy and feminine so go for soft floaty fabrics like silk or chiffon.
9. Props are also a major part of the burlesque scene, for the saucy minxes a whip or tickle stick go down well. For the shyer violets a hand held fan or a lace umbrella work a treat.
10. Finally, burlesque is all about finding your inner goddess, have fun with it and don’t take yourself too seriously.